Monday 13 February 2017

Flexing my flexibility

I've been trying incredibly hard to curtail the purchasing of stash until I've achieved a visible dent in the stash I've already got. By this, I mean that I'm trying to use scrapbook papers and embellishments. I'm afraid I cant 'use up' stamps in the same manner, and they will continue to multiply on my shelves...although in far fewer numbers so far this year - I've been quite/almost strong.
On that basis, I challenged myself for my first workshop to use stuff that I had, rather than cracking open a bunch of new stuff. You know, proving that I didn't buy something for a single idea, making the most of what I've got...yep, being creative and therefore flexible.
It worked, in the main. The pom pom was new - it came from Baker Ross, but you can forgive that surely - technically you see, I didn't buy it! I blow hot and cold about this brick wall embossing folder - for ages I wondered why I'd bought it, and then I have a fit of ideas for it and think it's indispensable. When I use it the right way around of course. I'm pretty sure the 'grouting' effect that using it the wrong way around gives a card is really very useful, but I have to admit to it being a swear inducer. I have more work to do when it comes to my flexibility in getting the ideas out of my head and onto the card. But I'm claiming this as a double success - old(ish) stash and a card suitable for a man. Modest of me, I know, but I call that a result!

14 comments:

shazsilverwolf said...

Agree about the folder Julia, I've got a couple of 'brick' type ones, bought with loads of ideas in my head to use for, but a real struggle to get it to look right.Loving the card, yes, great for a man- or a dog lover at all- and well done with the stash busting. Had that conversation with my model builder son the other day- he too hoards stuff 'for a special project', so either it's not just us crafters, or in my case, it's genetic, rofl. Huge Hugs, Shaz XxX

Unknown said...

I've been misled, I came here having read the title and was expecting a downwards dog, a pose of a cat or maybe a sun salutation, and here I am with not a yoga pose in sight...however, the use of existing stash is to be applauded, and now I'm off to gauche alchemy for some new stuff... not because I need it but because I really cannot face emptying another house move crate and finding a teapot instead of my journal fodder...note to self - USE LABELS - as regards walls bricks and grout and such like - you worked wonders with stuff that is So Last Year...(!) ...lovely man card dxxxx

Sue said...

Hi Julia, I love the card. I can see the brick background being good for graffiti.

Hope you've had a good start to the week. Sue

Belinda Basson said...

Now I need to want a brick embossing folder... I think I have every size stencil... love your card... keep flexing...

Helen said...

I hardly ever use embossing folders these days, but love a brickwork stencil, so I'm with you in it being very useful.. better not stop by and read/see what I bought yesterday if you're trying to be good... sorry, in advance!! of course the pom pom doesn't count.

Craftychris said...

Fabulous card! Love the brick background for the little dog with his cute little pom pom! I have a brick embossing folder and love using it, well done for using your existing stash - the pom pom doesn't count! xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never had any embossing folders, but I love the brick wall effect you have achieved. I also like that you have used old stash. It's important to use it or get rid of it. That's what I'm trying to do this year, and ever since the flood in my basement last summer that forced me to look at what was important to me. I'm really impressed with this adorable manly card.

Judys Lace Creations said...

Good for you Julia. Using stash we have is a great boost for creativity!I have to save for a few months this year( new drapes, blinds carpets...) so I have a big incentive!Looking forward to see ing what you make with what you have. Cute doggie card.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

That dog and the brick wall are perfect together! I'm with you, everyone but me does wonderful things with their brick EF. Good for you for using up stash. I try and try and try and it just multiples like a fiend. I'm not even buying much stash (just joined SU so sort of obligated to buy their stuff for workshops and sales purposes), I just keep finding more in my house. I think it breeds; I truly do.

Dorlene Durham said...

Cute card and yes it is hard to use our stash. I've tried too and did very well in the month of January.

Monica said...

At least once a week I get the "Why did I buy...." I bought a few embossing folders and only use the bits I emboss torn up in Mixed media. After buying the complete set of Dylusions paints and having all of them dry up at various points in time, some replaced by Ranger, only to then dry up. I swore off them by adding to my spray paints and finding they never spray unless I point them at my face. Lately i succumbed to acrylic inks. Used as the class showed I produced minimal rubbish, then I tried them with the "dip pens" bought from another class list and guess what I LOVE them. Or perhaps I should say I wear them best of all!
Monica

Kathyk said...

It's FABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB too

Kathyk

BJ said...

Great job and now I think I "need" that embossing folder - just checked and I don't have it - horrah, will add to birthday purchase list. Thanks Julia. BJ

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Cute card...using what I have is a MUST here. Things are out of control, but my out is the craft store, I gave up antiques !!!