Monday 23 November 2009

Mr Dunnit steps up....(again)

So further to the Ornament dilemma. I worked out why they don't look like the idea that I had in my head. Simple really. I don't like 'em. So, I'm going to (rather quickly) do something else. Naturally there's a story to this. I posted about my quandry on Friday afternoon. In domestic terms, this family was planning an evening apart. Miss D was off to the cinema with her flame haired chum to watch New Moon. Which meant that Mr Dunnit and I were going to have a date night. Which is quite an exciting, romantic sort of thing to do after all these years, innit? We don't plan a 'date night' I should tell you - I have acquired the phrase through my reading of the blogs of other people who have perfect husbands, children, houses, lives. It seems that 'date night' is the glue that binds and indeed deepens a lot of marriages. A lot of soul searching and real talking seems to occur on 'date night' so I was totally up for it. I planned that we'd go out - I'm afraid to tell you that I will do almost anything to avoid Children in Need on the telly. Spending a friday night sniveling and snotting on the sofa because I can't do more is really not a good thing for me. So I don't anymore, I can whip myself without help, thanks!
So Mr Dunnit came home from work, I threw a less than gourmet meal at Miss Dunnit (guilt, see, really she can get her own!) and off we went. To Currys. Yep, he has a yearning for a new tv and we have a need for some new white goods, so he thought it would be a good chance to do some late night shopping. Except.... he isn't the chap that walks into the store, sees the appliances and tv that we want, does a deal and leaves. Oh no. There's a lot of research to do first. And for me, a lifetime's yawning. I realise it's important, but I hate it and it's boring and hey - date night! For once though, this may have paid off - I was sulking around the store (I know this is hard to believe of me, but at least I'm big enough to admit it). I mean, apart from my spoilt date night anticipation, I was suffering terrible angst over my ornament failure. And then it hit me. My new and latest idea.
As a reward for being good in Currys, Mr Dunnit bought me supper and I gabbled about my new idea. It invovles him a bit see - I need some wooden shapes . Not only did he agree that my new idea is great and would be lovely and better and no trouble for him to help me out with - he said he'd make extra shapes because he felt sure that some of the family would love it too. Now maybe that's proper date night talk!
So here I am, all fired up with enthusiasm. Again! Watch this space, huh.
(It won't be this reindeer ornament, I just wanted you to see him.)

16 comments:

Kaz said...

Well done on being good and getting a supper out of it!!
Can't wait to see what you come up with. I love that reindeer - he whispered to me he'd like to come and visit me this year!! xx

Paige said...

So after all that did you get your new Telly? Trav's one to check out all the deals first as well.... men! that little reindeer is very cute. But Trav would go nuts if I tried to place anything on top of his telly!!!!!

Milliesmarvels said...

I love it when a plan comes together!! My Hubby and I had a 'lunch date' today at Asda which didn't actually involve eating lunch, just buying Christmas presents and petrol and him criticising my driving! But I still enjoyed it a lot :-)
Can't wait to see your wood creations! Thanks for all your comments on my stall, would have been lovely to see you if you could have come and a massive surprise!
Jane
x

Chrissie said...

OMG Julia, this sounds wonderful and it will be totally unique, bet no one else will have anything half as fabulous, just can't wait to see what you come up with between you.
I do feel the need to apologise for the uncontrolled snort on my previous comment. It was very mean and unkind and totally uncalled for.
My only excuse is that the pictures reminded me of the type of thing that I might be likely to produce after spending hours (days?) working on something, when the original expectation would have been to make something that Martha Stewart could be jealous of lol!

Pam said...

Look forward to seeing the finished item!! My DH and I don't do date night except on our birthdays and aniversary and then its to the same pub/restaurant every time (creature of habit my other half) you probably know it The Three crowns at Brinkworth. We do however have a monthly "lunch date" on a Friday around payday(!) which usually involves lunch somewhere where he has seen a special offer so far we have gone to a new Italian (2 course for £5.95), Blunsdon House Hotel carvery (3 courses for £14.95 BOGOFF - by the way were the youngest dinner by about 20years!!!) and his local chinese which he affectionately calls the "chipshop chinese" looks something like a local factory canteen (1 course and a drink £5), now can you see a pattern emerging here!!!!

Annie said...

Oh wow what a fab idea. I'm really impressed. Do make sure we all get to see them. A x

Carmen said...

Our last date night was so long ago I was pregnant!! I was suffering evening sickness, he had raging toothache and promptly fell asleep in the cinema. Wouldn't mind but it was a film HE wanted to see that I was then stuck watching (Hannibal Rising) We keep saying we'll have another date night buut honestly can't see it happening till the kids are all down their Nannas at once which wont be till next summer. *sigh*

Can't wait to see your ornaments and I mean that in a purely platonic way ;) My angels are taking forever - a lot longer than I thought - I didn't allow for being patient with drying times.

Angie said...

I think your 'date????' had a RE..SULT...cant wait to see the end product ....well done ...and a meal too.

Megan said...

I adore you more today than yesterday!! I love your description of date night. and how it feels like all the perfect people have them while the rest of us head to walmart and am happy to have our man grunt twice for yes!

Unknown said...

I had so much to say until I saw the cute ickle reindeer ... I LOVE him X

Unknown said...

I forgot to say that I would proudly display one of your snow flake decs on my tree ... I thought they were rather lovely too!

Lyn said...

LOL - I love the story! Of course you won't be surprised to know that DH and I have Date Night, not every week and not because we are That Perfect Family, but thanks to FlyLady routines that require Date Night to be added to them. Just shoot me now. I'm completely Flywashed.

Impressed, after all the snowflake hard work that you are doing something else instead. That's what I call having standards. The reindeer is soooo cute. Well done Mr Dunnit and his crafting support, with or without the new TV!

Jay said...

Hmm got me thinking, when was our last date night! Well, we had babysitter for the girls and they're 19 and 17 now. I reckon it was probably ten years ago. I remember it was our wedding anniversary and we went to a local Italian (which is now a B&B). Ho hum.

Anonymous said...

Love the Reindeer. It reminded me of doing toll painting in your shop.
Most nights are date nights for me and Bendy Bob. The joy of retirement!!!

voodoo vixen said...

So what are doing with all the icicle yarn (technical term) thingies? The new idea sounds fab... but then so did the yarn (technical term) icicles.... hope your hairy fat fingers survive the splinters and sanding of all those wood shapes!! ;)
And look what you have made me do.... I took a pic of my desk because its Wednesday!! Julia... you have a lot to answer for, my girl!!
Date night sounds good... if I tell you what we used to do (pre Saudi Arabia because take aways and renting DVD's are a tad difficult here).... promise you will think I am just soooo perfect and Martha Stuart-ish??? We used to do rent a DVD and get a take-away night!! So what, you say? Well.... I had to match the meal to the movie... so for My Fat Greek Wedding... Greek food, for Forest Gump... we had a big box of chocolates for dessert... see? It was fun to try and match food to the theme...

Hazel said...

You asked about the white blocks on my desk - I've blogged to show what they are x